Skip Navigation

Oaths & Affidavits (Commissioners)

The City Clerk and Deputy City Clerk are appointed Commissioners for Taking Affidavits, etc. to witness the signing of documents by the general public (please note that we do not commission documents dealing with Family Law, Estates and Real Estate).

In order for a commissioner to sign your document, please keep the following in mind:

  • contact should be made with the City Clerk or Deputy City Clerk to ensure they can sign the document
  • the document must be signed in front of the commissioner, not before
  • the person(s) making the oath (declarant) must be present and have valid government issued photo I.D. (see accepted list below)

Service will not be provided for any of the following documents:

  • any family law proceeding documentation
  • any documents related to professional applications, including designations
  • any documents putting the City in a position of conflict as determined by the Commissioner
  • enduring Power of Attorney Forms
  • immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada Applications
  • the witnessing of Wills, Living Wills or Codicils
  • documents to be filed out-of-Province (see a Notary Public below)

Please bring 1 piece of acceptable identification (I.D.) from the list below to confirm your identity:

  • Canadian or foreign Driver’s Licence
  • British Columbia Services Card
  • Provincial or territorial Identity Cards
  • Canadian Armed Forces Identification Card
  • Canadian Firearms License
  • Nexus Card
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Citizenship Card (issued prior to 2012)
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status
  • Passport (Canadian or foreign)
  • Corrections Services Canada issued I.D.

There is a $40.00 fee payable for this service. This fee is set out in the User Fees By-Law

Appointments are required.

Please contact the City Clerk or Deputy City Clerk ahead of coming into City Hall to make sure that a Commissioner is available to perform this service for you.

A Commissioner for Taking Affidavits, etc. is not a Notary Public and cannot notarize your documents.

You will need to contact a Non-Lawyer Notary Public or Lawyer if you require a document to be notarized.

Karen McIsaac, AMCT
City Clerk (705) 474-0400 x.2510
Véronique Hie
Deputy City Clerk 705-474-0626 x 2522