Skip Navigation

As the Temperature Drops – Keep Fire Safety in Mind

North Bay Fire & Emergency Services – Oct. 27, 2020 - With a chill in the air, North Bay Fire & Emergency Services reminds every one of the importance of fire safety before they turn up the furnace, light the fireplace or plug in the space heater.   “We often see more home fires this time of year due to heating equipment and appliances,” said Fire Chief Jason Whiteley. “People need to pay close attention to potential fire hazards such as fireplaces, furnaces, chimneys and vents, and space heaters.”   As well, heating systems are the leading cause of unintentional deaths and injuries due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Here are some simple things you can do to stay fire safe during the colder months: 

  • Have all fuel-burning appliances inspected annually by a registered fuel contractor. Go to to find a contractor near you.
  • Keep chimneys and intake/exhaust vents for furnaces and heating appliances free of debris, ice and snow accumulations to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide (CO) build-up from inefficient combustion.
  • Burn dry, well-seasoned wood in fireplaces and woodstoves to reduce the risk of excessive creosote build-up in chimneys.
  • Allow ashes from your fireplace or woodstove to cool before emptying them into a metal container with a tight-fitting lid. Keep the container outside.
  • Keep space heaters at least one metre (3 feet) away from anything that can burn, including curtains, upholstery and clothing.
  • Replace worn or damaged electrical wires and connections on vehicles and extension cords and use the proper gauge extension cord for vehicle block heaters.
  • Consider using approved timers for vehicle block heaters rather than leaving heaters on all night.
  • Ensure that vehicles are not left running inside any garage or building.
  • Ensure there is a working smoke alarm on every storey and outside all sleeping areas of your home.
  • Install CO alarms to alert you to the presence of this deadly gas.

North Bay Fire & Emergency Services reminds everyone that the Ontario Fire Code requires smoke alarms to be installed on every storey of your home and outside all sleeping areas. Carbon monoxide alarms are required outside all sleeping areas if the home has a fuel-burning appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage. For more information about smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, or fire safety go to:

As the Temperature Drops – Keep Fire Safety in Mind